[ansel] Re: Your Horde Apps

Brian Keifer brian at valinor.net
Mon Oct 27 10:38:52 PST 2003

> > I think for many folks, sorting by name is going to be pretty important.
> How
> > about letting the gallery owner manually re-arrange the list?  If the first
> > idea above does get implemented, I'd definitely like to see it as a
> > preference.
>
> Mmm, manual arrangement sounds kind of ugly. How about if they were just
> always
> sorted by name, with a pref for whether or not to group by owner?

Ugly, perhaps, but what about pictures/albums that show chronological stuff?
For example, when our new place was still being built, I'd come out to the site
once a week or so and take pictures with my digital camera.  If I re-formatted
my memory card between trips (or even switched cards, I think), my camera would
start numbering from the beginning again.  Sure, I could stick a timestamp in
front of each picture/album's name, but I'd rather not have to.

The same goes for albums.  Whenever I create a new album, I usually like to keep
it near the top of the list for a little while so that the three or so people
who actually visit the gallery see it at the top of the list and know it's
there, rather than having to go to page two to make sure there's nothing new
hiding in the second half of the alphabet.  Things like "Hey, we got a new car,
here are some pictures of it", usually get sent to near the end of the list
once the novelty's worn off.  Conversely, for albums that get updated more
often, I like to keep them closer to the top for longer.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. =)

-Brian

--
Most look at me as though I'd just asked them if they refloozle their
hossenblobbets with tinklewickets.