[board] Minutes from October 2008 Meeting

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Tue Oct 7 16:27:05 UTC 2008

Thanks to everyone who came out for the October 2008 Horde Board
meeting.  This is an overview of the results from that meeting:

* Ohloh.net was proposed as a download service for future Horde
releases.  Some concerns and questions were raised; the item is tabled
until November to allow time for more research.

* Horde 3 lifecycle and Horde 4 development plans were discussed:
- A quick poll of non-developers in the room indicates that new
applications requiring new versions of the framework is not a problem
for most installations.
- Backward compatibility should be preserved throughout all releases
for a given major version number.  If backward compatibility is broken
it should only be done with a corresponding major version number bump.
- Refinements to the application version numbers was discussed.
Should we keep the H3 appellation or renumber applications respective
to the version of Horde for which they were intended?  More discussion
on lists and in November.
- Horde 3.x will eventually move into bug- and security-fixes only.
The exact timing is yet to be determined.
- The scope of changes in Horde 4.0 will be limited to allow for a
shorter release cycle.  Ideally all major API changes should be
implemented so that it is easy to maintain application compatibility
throughout the life of Horde 4.x.
- All applications currently released as "stable" will be branched so
future HEAD development will correspond to Horde 4.
- Horde 4.0 will require a minimum of PHP 5.2, possibly 5.3.
- The target for a release of Horde 4.0 should be approximately 6
months from the beginning of development.

* Version Control:
- Git was tentatively selected to replace CVS
- Chuck will begin working on single repository to hold Horde sources
- A Chora driver will need to be written ASAP
- The new repository will be a fresh start.  Little or no attempt will
be made to import history.  The existing CVS servers will remain
online holding the Horde 3.x branches.
- The specifics of the Git repository layout are to be discussed on
horde-dev.

Wow, this is easily our most productive meeting yet!  Thanks again for
all who attended and gave input.  Below is a transcript from the
meeting.  See you all next on November 4th 2008.

/BAK/
--
Ben Klang
Alkaloid Networks LLC
ben at alkaloid.net
404.475.4850
http://projects.alkaloid.net

10:58:08 < kevinUofA> g'morning everybody!
10:58:31 < cjh> Hey Kevin
10:59:06 < mrubinsk> morning all
10:59:15 < wrobel> hi everybody
11:01:51 < yunosh> good afternoon everybody
11:02:07 < cjh> And from over here, good morning
11:02:29 < yunosh> looks like we have at least two non-developers here
today,
                    which is a progress compared to last time :)
11:03:31 -!- liamr [n=liamr at welsh.staff.itd.umich.edu] has joined
#horde-board
11:03:33 < yunosh> are we wainting for someone, or can we start now?
11:03:39 < yunosh> ah, 3!
11:04:06 < yunosh> okay, let's wait two minutes for any late-comers
11:07:22 < yunosh> alright, here we go. welcome to the board meeting,
step
                    right up, sit right down
11:07:43 < yunosh> bklang: will you do the conferencier again?
11:08:00 <@bklang> Sure, I can, but I have to drop off at 11:30
11:08:08 < yunosh> np
11:08:25 <@bklang> ok, first item: Ohloh.net hosting for downloads
11:08:40 <@bklang> I belive it was Chuck that suggested we consider
this.
11:09:02 <@bklang> Ohloh.net has a download service that, among other
things,
                    tracks downlaod statistics
11:09:20 -!- ShadowSpawn [n=marcus at horde/marcus] has joined #horde-board
11:09:25 <@bklang> it also has SFTP and HTTP mechanisms for automating
releases
                    of files
11:09:37 <@bklang> Does anyone have any comment or question about this?
11:09:48 < cjh> It's free, it doesn't seem like we'd give up too much
control,
                 and it would probably remove the need for FTP
mirrors, taking a
                 bit of maintenance off of our hands.
11:10:10 < yunosh> how does it compare with sf.net's mdn system?
11:10:14 < mrubinsk> Sounds like a win-win to me...
11:11:00 < Shpoon> how stable is ohloh?  Meaning, is the service going
to be
                    gone by next year?
11:11:05 < kevinUofA> Is there any fine print... ie "We own anything you
                       upload"... that sort of thing that these free
services
                       tend to hide?
11:11:11 < mrubinsk> although is there any info regarding
                      speed/bandwidth/accessability from various
locations?
11:11:35 -!- selsky [n=selsky at cpe-69-203-118-206.nyc.res.rr.com] has
joined
           #horde-board
11:11:56 < cjh> https://www.ohloh.net/help/download_faq
11:12:33 < cjh> "built on a world-class, global storage and distribution
                 network"
11:12:36 < cjh> nothing more specific than that.
11:12:45 < yunosh> that's a bit vague
11:12:45 < cjh> no fine print that anyone has noticed or blogged about.
11:13:07 < cjh> Okay, how about we table this and see who starts using
it,
                 maybe take a look at it in a few months
11:13:17 <@bklang> seems reasonable
11:13:19 < cjh> Right now FTP isn't a huge problem for us anyway; in
the future
                 we might want to offload it.
11:13:26 < yunosh> good idea
11:13:35 <@bklang> it might fall into the category of "if it ain't
broke..."
11:14:07 < yunosh> well, it adds worlwide download stats compared to the
                    current solution
11:14:08 < Shpoon> this might be more useful if we were running into
                    download/usage limits on our distribution servers
11:14:16 < yunosh> so it's worth breaking the current situation
11:14:28 < cjh> K, we'll table it for now. Next?
11:14:30 <@bklang> ok, the second item on the agenda: Horde 3.3
release cycle
                    and Horde 4.0 development plans
11:14:33 < yunosh> but there seem to be to many questions left
11:14:56 <@bklang> yunosh: I'll add it for next month's Board meeting
to follow
                    up
11:15:04 <@bklang> give us time to research a bit more
11:15:32 < cjh> There are a couple of parts to this
11:15:35 < yunosh> ok.
11:15:40 < cjh> I see it roughly as:
11:15:48 < cjh> 1. current horde 3.3 releases and applications
11:15:57 < cjh> 2. any decision about switching version control systems
11:16:08 < cjh> 3. very rough roadmap for horde 4.0 and how that
impacts HEAD
11:16:28 <@bklang> I have a related question:  Have we decided which
version
                    will be the last in the 3.x family?  At what point
does it
                    become security fixes only?
11:16:33 <@bklang> or bug + security fixes
11:16:39 < wrobel> same question here
11:16:48 < yunosh> i don't understand the questino
11:17:12 < yunosh> we always support one minor version with bug fixes,
and the
                    former with security fixes
11:17:17 <@bklang> yunosh: ie. will there be a Horde 3.4?  When does
the 3.x
                    branch become feature frozen so we can focus on H40
11:17:39 < yunosh> tough question
11:18:01 < yunosh> theoretically, we should start with 4.0 now and
keep 3.3 for
                    bug fixes
11:18:05 < mrubinsk> ...and related to that, do the recent and
upcoming 1.0
                      releases become "instantly" feature frozen?
11:18:23 < yunosh> but given the experience from the past, it's well
possible
                    that we see a 3.4
11:18:34 <@bklang> mrubinsk: I think at least Framework and Horde need
to be
                    frozen.  The others, I don't feel as strongly about
11:19:34 < yunosh> i guess it depends on how much work it is to merge
from a
                    Horde 4/PHP 5 HEAD to a stable Horde 3/PHP 4 branch
11:19:58 < Shpoon> Well, at least from an IMP point of view, I can
tell you its
                    going to be pretty much impossible to release a
3.4 with the
                    changes I am currently making
11:20:01 < yunosh> i bet we stop merging as soon as the two branches
diverged
                    to a certain point
11:20:04 <@bklang> I think if we don't do that there will be a
tendency to want
                    to write code that will be easily backported to PHP4
11:20:05 < cjh> i'd imagine that as soon as we start serious work on
horde 4,
                 it will diverge drastically
11:20:21 < Shpoon> sorry - meant IMP 4.4
11:21:13 < yunosh> i personally may be an exception, since i have to
deal with
                    clients. and those don't want to wait for horde 4
but still
                    need new features
11:21:38 < yunosh> but that shouldn't hold anyone off working on new
stuff in
                    HEAD and forget about merging
11:22:19 < Shpoon> We might still be in the "small improvements can be
merged"
                    phase
11:22:21 < cjh> one possibility would be to declare Horde 3.9 (or
another
                 appropriate version number) a BC-breaking, PHP 5
Horde 3.x  -
                 but one that doesn't dramatically reorganize everything
11:22:40 < cjh> i.e, the registry api would stay similar, most apis
would be
                 the same
11:22:45 <@bklang> cjh: what do you see the difference between 3.9 and
4.0
                    being?
11:22:53 < yunosh> nah, that sounds like too much additional work for
limited
                    benefit
11:23:20 < cjh> yunosh: the benefit is it gives us an incremental base
that can
                 be released in less than a year
11:23:29 < cjh> keeps our release cycle going
11:23:55 < cjh> bklang: I see 4.0 being the PHP 5 changes along with the
                 cleanup from the BCBreakingIssues page, plus a
selected set of
                 architectural changes
11:24:14 < yunosh> i still don't think it's worthwhile
11:24:14 < mrubinsk> I think I agree with cjh - make it PHP5, but
otherwise BC
11:24:25 < cjh> mrubinsk: i'm not saying strict BC
11:24:47 < cjh> just not a ton of time spent on new features/
architecture
11:24:49 <@bklang> I'm more with yunosh on this.  I think it's a lot
of work
                    that will preclude making meaningful progress with
the
                    architectural changes we want
11:24:55 < mrubinsk> hm, might be too much work then, manual merges
etc...
11:24:56 < Shpoon> As an aside (since it's not technically on the list
for the
                    meeting): have we decided what PHP version to
support for H4?
11:25:15 < cjh> Shpoon: 5.2+, and depending on timing, _possibly_ 5.3+
with
                 namespaces
11:25:39 < Shpoon> cjh: OK - just noticed your wiki post on intl stuff
                    yesterday, which is 5.3 stuff
11:25:55 < yunosh> intl is available for 5.2
11:26:19 < yunosh> (from pecl)
11:26:33 < selsky> o we have a rough idea how long it will take H4/IMP
                    come out?
11:27:00 < yunosh> not at all
11:27:15 < yunosh> but from past experience better count in years than
months
11:27:20 < cjh> none. that's one of the reasons behind my suggestion -
to keep
                 it quicker.
11:27:48 < Shpoon> The one thing to keep in mind about our HEAD versions
                    (especially with apps):
11:27:50 < cjh> i think it would hurt us in terms of adoption and
getting new
                 developers if we had another years-long development
cycle
11:27:58 < Shpoon> often times the delay has nothing to do with
stability
11:28:06 < Shpoon> (delay in releasing HEAD)
11:28:24 < Shpoon> but that we want to settle on the API before
releasing a
                    new, x.0 version
11:28:33 <@bklang> I agree with you about the long development cycle.
I see
                    three possibilites: 1) more developers, 2) reduce
the scope
                    of changes (at the risk of breaking BC?)  3) drop BC
                    guarantees until some to-be-determined point in
Horde's
                    future
11:29:08 < cjh> if we make ourselves use individual package
requirements for
                 the framework, we can work around a lot of this
11:29:22 < Shpoon> I was just typing what cjh did
11:29:24 < cjh> push as much horde base functionality as possible into
packages
11:29:39 < cjh> then apps can be released as often as necessary,
requiring
                 specific package versions
11:29:39 < yunosh> such a PHP5/3.9 release won't give much benefit for
                    users/admins, only upgrade hassle, so it will be
hard to
                    sell it
11:29:44 < Shpoon> That is a crucial part of H4 - the framework packages
11:30:49 < yunosh> but what do our admins/user say? kevinUofA, liamr,
                    hiro/protagonist?
11:31:04 < yunosh> that's what we have the board for, after all :)
11:31:43 < liamr> we're already running php5 on our horde
installation, so
                   requiring it for H4 won't be an issue for us
11:31:48 < kevinUofA> It doesn't much matter to us,  We don't do any
major
                       upgrades to our systems until the summer anyway
11:32:04 < kevinUofA> but we already run PHP5 as well
11:32:36 < yunosh> the question is, would you even consider upgrading,
if you
                    don't get more functionality/better adminstration/
more
                    flexibilty?
11:33:28 < liamr> maybe, maybe not.  we'd want to stay current for
security
                   issues
11:33:38 < liamr> tho, we did run H4.0 way longer than we should have
11:34:18 < kevinUofA> if there's no advantage to upgrading then we
likely
                       wouldn't... there would have to be compelling
reason to
                       do through the whole exercise since it takes
some time to
                       get any new release installed, tested, and
fully deployed
11:34:19 < yunosh> H4 doesn't exist yet. do you mean Horde 2?
11:34:25 < liamr> what we'd be most intested in, i think, is the ability
                   dramatically alter application appearance
("skinning")
11:34:26 < liamr> er.
11:34:28 < liamr> sorry
11:34:31 < liamr> H3.0