[dev] Re: [imp] hey again...

gaudenz.steinlin@id.unibe.ch gaudenz.steinlin@id.unibe.ch
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:05:36 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@horde.org>:

> >  I was wondering, is there any point me doing a "proper" version, i.e.
> > taking out locale strings, and making the templates neater, and adding it
> > to the newer versions of IMP ? The back end relies on qmail/ezmlm
> > unfortunatly, though once the frontend would be made availible, I'm sure
> > someone could do majordomo/postfix/sendmail backend work too. What think
> > ye ?
>
> Chuck has said in the past that if filtering is done, it needs to be a new
> Horde module (not part of IMP) because it isn't IMP's job... I agree with
> this.  I think having a front end with one working back end is exactly the
> way to go (just like the IETF right?)... I bet people would jump in and
> port the back ends in a hurry if there's a structure there.
>
> I also think you'd be best off doing work in the 2.3 (HEAD) baseline since
> that's where I think the developers are going to want to work with
> something like this.  (That's why I thought dev is the place to discuss
> it.)

I am doning something like this right now. I have already done the begining of a
horde module for "user configuration". Right now you can only change your
password on the server. But I think, this could be helpful because I try to
implement everything based on "drivers". I have implemented a "password driver"
which works with an expect script. I could also think of another driver for
poppasswd.
I am planing to at least adding the same for forwarding mail and setting a
vacation message.

I have made a "preview" version available as
http://www.cx.unibe.ch/~steinlin/userconfig.tar.gz

please give it a try.

> I know there's huge demand for something like this, so I'm happy to see
> people working on it.  I'm sorry that I, personally, don't have time to
> help.  We need it here just like everyone else.  :-)
Perhaps we could coodinate your efforts. Please tell me, if this code is as you
intended to do it or if you have other ideas how one could reduce the
dependencies to site specific features. Is this something you would like to have
as a horde module or is it completly useless?

Thanks

Gaudenz