[dev] Horde Installer

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:27:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org> wrote:

> I was thinking that we could have a 'master config file' that could
> output sensible .dist defaults, or expose options to the more
> interactive scripts.  There's loads and loads of ways this could be
> done (XML based,

I've wanted to see XML be used for configuration for quite a while.  A
system that would render the XML into a compatible .dist format would be a
cool transitional step, and we could see where it went from there.  And
this is all kind of like what Eric Raymond is doing with CML2 for Linux
compiles, if I understand correctly.

If it were a front-end like this, Horde 1.3.x configuration wouldn't have
to change to support it, which means:

> The other question is: this version of Horde, or save the work for the
> next version, and shift towards a stable release rapidly?  We can keep
> adding features forever :)

I hope we aren't talking about a graphical installer, configuration system
changes, etc. before Horde 1.4.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN