[dev] Merging changes

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:39:12 +0200

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> This is driving me crazy... Is there any way to merge changes from the
> *.dist config files into my personal config files which will not
> blow-away
> my personal settings?  I used to make all these changes in the .dist
> files
> and then update via CVS, but i can't do that anymore lest I make a commit
>
> one day and CVS suddenly contains my setup :)  I have also played around
> with the 'merge' utility but that blows away all my personal settings.

What I do is the following:
Run a diff, e.g. 'diff -u prefs.php prefs.php.dist'
Now I have the different version numbers from the $Horde$ tag.
I then run 'cvs diff -u -r 1.234 -r 1.235 prefs.php.dist | patch prefs.php'
You'll only have to fix parts of the patch that didn't apply by hand from
prefs.php.rej.

Jan.