[dev] RFC: array values for preferences

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Feb 8 16:40:51 PST 2003

Zitat von Mike Cochrane <mike at graftonhall.co.nz>:

> Is there a way that you can get horde_serialize character set friendly?
>
> This way the code that allready uses Horde_Serialize::serialize() doesn't
> have
> to be changed and the rest of the code just needs serialize() changed to
> Horde_Serialize::serialize(). And it seems pointless to have a
> serialization
> class that we can't use.

The problem is not that serialize() is somehow charset "unfriendly" but the
result may still contain characters that the storage backend can't handle.
We can of course do something that the Prefs_ldap driver already does. It
just base64-encodes all pref values. We can do this with the sql driver as
well but that takes away the possibility for admins to change preferences
directly in the backend in an easy way.

Jan.