[dev] Release Engineering: Versions 2

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Wed Dec 17 16:05:05 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:33:25PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > 1) One branch name for a major Horde version and all modules that run with
> > this version, like FRAMEWORK_3 OR MAJOR_3.
>
> I find this more readable, and so I'd prefer it.

Agreed, and I prefer FRAMEWORK_ (or HORDE_) to MAJOR_.  HORDE_ makes
the most sense because we've already defined 'framework' as our
repository of packages while 'horde' refers to the global application
"glue".

> > 2) Include the major Horde version that is required with the branch name of
> > each module that still keep their major module versions, like RELENG3_4 for
> > IMP 4.x and RELENG3_1 for Ingo 1.x.
>
> I'd bee much happier if this looked like RELENG_3_IMP_4 or something like that,
> so that the numbers and letters weren't squished together. Or
> FRAMEWORK_3_RELENG_4, or what have you. I know it adds a bunch of characters,
> though. And RELENG_3_4 seems too unclear. RELENG_F3_A4 (framework 3, app 4)?

Agreed here, too.

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)