[dev] Turba field enhancements

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Fri Aug 13 12:29:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

currently Turba (with sql backend) uses a single field to store
addresses (WorkAddress, HomeAddress) and names.

IMHO it's better to switch to using the individual Adress, City,
Province, PostalCode, and Country codes.
Same for the name which should be stored at least as firstname and
lastname. (maybe honorific pre/postfixes as well?)

Adding new fields to Turba is of course a piece of cake, but changing
database tables is something you would not want to do too often.

So while I'm at it I'd also like to include the following new fields
which are taken from the vcard RFC 2426. These are

PHOTO (if I get binary data in the database right)
BDAY
ROLE (easy)
CATEGORIES (Horde Style category for Turba!)
UID (to store external IDs)

For the records: the RFC also has the following fields which I'd ignore
for now unless someone convices me to include them:

MAILER
TZ (timezone)
GEO
LOGO
AGENT
SORT-STRING (for properly sorting of van Helsing in H)
SOUND
CLASS (PUBLIC|PRIVATE|CONFIDENTIAL)

Here's an outline of my intended changes:

- add the new fields to turba/config/attributes.php and
   config/sources.php

- add turba sql table format

- as we requires a change to the sql table it might be a good point to
   think about a (general) way to do table structures changes during an
   update. Might help us in the release process for the upcoming horde
   version.

- maybe modify/enhance the _address type in the Forms package. This way
   we have the address nicely presented as one item (group) in the form.
   We can also do nifty things like properly displaying international
   addresses (position of ZipCode etc.) and better linking to map info.
   But this may be done in a later step.

Any comments, thoughts, objections before I jump into this?

  Karsten