[dev] Transplanting CK-ERP to the Horde Framework

C K Wu ckwu at cheerful.com
Sat Mar 5 07:24:21 PST 2005

Hi, everyone,

If the caption subject is off-topic, please redirect me to the
appropriate list and thank you in advance.

I am the developer of CK-ERP, which is a 3rd party accounting/ERP/CRM
add-on that runs on top of phpGroupWare.  Recently, I had a problem with
the Free Software Foundation (FSF), saying that one of the licensing
term of CK-ERP being not GPL compliant.  With phpGroupWare being mostly
GPL licensed, FSF indicated that CK-ERP must be GPL'ed too.  While I
don't agree with FSF's conclusion, I don't wish to engage in a
protracted argument with FSF, so I am trying to find a new home for CK-ERP.

One of the complication with the whole thing is that CK-ERP is designed
to communicate with phpGroupWare via API calls and at the same time,
phpGroupWare's API (phpgwapi) is issued under LGPL, so CK-ERP should be
well protected against any GPL requirement.  However, one key
phpGroupWare developers claim that while phpgwapi is under LGPL, some of
its code actually calls on other GPL module/codes, causing FSF to
conclude that the LGPL protection is ineffective.  Therefore, while
Horde Framework 3 fits perfectly as a new platform for CK-ERP to run on,
I am still a bit hesitant.

Perhaps, developers here could confirm if the Horde Framework 3 is fully
LGPL'ed and that the Framework does not in term call up other GPL code.
  Once I have the confirmation on this, I'll start planning the transplant.

For a demo of CK-ERP, please refer to http://ck-erp.sourceforge.net
(English) or http://ck-erp.org (Simplified Chinese).

Cheers,
CK