[dev] Re: iCal spec for UID values - persistence question

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Mon Apr 11 07:59:55 PDT 2005

> It may be important *how* you get the iCalendar data into iCal (I
> really hate this name). Did you import iCalendar files, or did you
> subscribe to a Kronolith calendar through ics.php? I *might* consider
> it acceptable if they change the UID on import, because you don't
> really use the same calendar at that point anymore.

I am importing them from a file.  Sunbird retains the UID when you import and
export.  Apple's iCal (I think its not a good idea to name the app after the
spec, too..) creates new UIDs.  I don't see there being much difference
between
subscribing to a remote calendar, and importing calendar data.  The events are
still unique either way and should remain unique, whether they are pulled in
through a subscription, or whether they are pulled in through an import.  I'd
view a subscription as an automated import, almost.  I mean, what if
you create
an event on your PDA, offline, and sync it with a calendar server?  That's
really an import/export situation, isn't it?

Because we ultimately need offline access to calendar data, I guess I
need to be
talking to Apple to get them to Do The Right Thing with UIDs.  I think
Kronolith currently does the right thing.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator