[dev] Reverse Proxy using https while application hosted on http server

Greg Rundlett Greg.Rundlett at savaJe.com
Wed Jun 29 15:40:23 PDT 2005

I want to serve horde through a reverse proxy, so that users outside my
firewall can access the application hosted internally.   I'm wondering
what configuration setting will allow me to have any Horde generated
URLs point to the proxy.  I tried various settings in the
horde/config/conf.php file, but I think the root of my problem is that
the proxy server uses https, while my horde application speaks plain
http because it is inside the firewall.

Assuming the following network and host setup:
proxy server = https://myproxy.example.com
internal host = horde.example.com
proxy map rule allows https://myproxy.example.com/horde to internally
request http://horde.example.com which is a working horde installation.

Should this be possible?  I've looked at the lib/Horde/Auth.php file,
and can't figure out exactly where the url is being set (where it would
allow for setting the scheme).

I tried the following configurations in the horde/config/conf.php file:

$conf['server']['name'] = 'https://myproxy.example.com';   // and also
'myproxy.example.com'
$conf['server']['port'] = ''; // and also '443' and $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']
$conf['compress_pages'] = true;
$conf['umask'] = 077;
$conf['session']['name'] = 'Horde';
$conf['session']['cache_limiter'] = 'nocache';
$conf['session']['timeout'] = 0;
$conf['cookie']['domain'] = 'myproxy.example.com'; // and also
'horde.example.com'
$conf['cookie']['path'] = '/horde/'; // and also '/'

--
Greg Rundlett

Release Engineering Team
SavaJe Technologies
(978) 259-2029

[random sig fortune]
To see the butcher slap the steak, before he laid it on the block,
and give his knife a sharpening, was to forget breakfast instantly.  It was
agreeable, too -- it really was -- to see him cut it off, so smooth and juicy.
There was nothing savage in the act, although the knife was large and keen;
it was a piece of art, high art; there was delicacy of touch, clearness of
tone, skilful handling of the subject, fine shading.  It was the triumph of
mind over matter; quite.
		-- Dickens, "Martin Chuzzlewit"