[dev] How to ensure XHTML compliance

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Dec 2 06:01:06 PST 2005

Is there any automated testing in place to validate the HTML that Horde
generates?  I've been meaning to ask that for some time, but haven't
gotten around to it.  For instance, awhile back, I noticed the issues
described in bug #3038, with the display of patches and other lined
items.  And I noticed that IE didn't handle display of patches very
well at all.  But since about the only time I use IE is to test if
something works in it, I never spent the time to track down why they
didn't display properly.  When I did take the time last weekend to do
it, it was made a lot simpler because I've been using the HTML
Validator extension for Firefox
(http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/), which is based on Tidy.  For
every page that loads, it parses the HTML and displays a summary of
Errors and Warnings and it was pretty easy to see that with a missing
DOCTYPE, the entire header was missing as well.  Most pages generate
warnings and I'm wondering to what degree of XHTML compliance Horde
strives for.  Are pedantic things like:

<a> attribute "id" has invalid value "1"
The attribute ID is of type ID. As described above, it should begin
with a letter

of concern?

Just wondering if its worth my time to investigate the warnings, or if
things are compliant enough as is...  If just a few people used Horde
with that extension for a little while, a lot of minor non-compliant
HTML might be caught, but at the same time, you could go crazy with
some of the pedantic compliant issues as well.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator