[dev] datatree performance (again)

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 19 10:41:55 PST 2006

Quoting Didi Rieder <adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at>:

>> With less users on the system (night time) the queries take less than
>> a second. But with many (> 500) concurrent users they can take 8 sec.
>> and more.

One idea I had was that it might be a DB issue (mysql vs pgsql vs
oracle, etc).
The other idea people have expressed is that it is a concurrent user issue.

I don't see any problems on my site, but I max out at 64 concurrent users.
So maybe I don't have enough people hitting my site to trigger a melt down.

> so it is about 100 queries / sec. on average in the last 21 days,
> which include nighttime and holidays.

Since it is no doubt much higher at peak, it could be just too many queries
for the DB to handle...

Do you have any benchmark data (testing, etc) to suggest how many queries
per second it should be able to handle for "simple" queries?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!