[dev] Groo status report

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Aug 2 08:58:40 PDT 2006

Quoting Luciano Ramalho <luciano at ramalho.org>:

> The challenge here (at least for a Horde newbie like me) is to
> implement the interface and the DB back-end of the book/creator
> many-to-many relationship. I know how to code the DB part manually,
> following the Driver pattern I learned studying Mopple. What I don't
>  know is:
>
> - how to leverage Horde's form infrastructure to build a form which
> has a variable part (in my case, a variable number of creators, each
>  represented by a pair of name/role fields; see sketch [4])

There are a couple of different ways to do this. I'm happy to talk
about them with you. Or if you post the raw data and code you have for
now, we can work on a form over the list.

> - whether such many-to-many relationship can be implemented with RDO

Yes, or you can do them manually with the SQL driver that you already have.

> In my model, I have a books table and a creators table, and they are
>  linked through a l_book_creator table which contains a role field
> qualifying the relationship (author, translator, editor etc.).

Okay.

> In order to tackle the book editing form I'd like to take Chuck's
> offer of a little synchronous mentoring via IRC. Chuck: tell me if
> you can do that, and when would be good for you, OK?

Yes, I can do that. Sorry for not getting back to you until now. Just
find me on IRC any time that's good for you; I'm usually on during
business hours US Eastern time, and sometimes in the evenings.

> In spite of the slow start, I think now I am at a cruising speed,
> and I am fairly confident of doing most of what I planned if I
> simplify things and leverage other parts of Horde. For example, I'd
> like to use Nag to manage the reminders for the book leasing
> functionality.

Sounds good.

> With a little bit of help, I think Groo may become that nice sample
> application we were expecting, simple but not trivial, therefore
> good for helping new developers dig deeper into Horde after they
> study Jan's Mopple and Chuck's real-state Property examples.

Cool. :)

Thanks for the update,
-chuck