[dev] Splitting the Kolab module

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Jul 4 08:52:51 UTC 2008

Hi Jan,

Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> writes:

> Zitat von Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> (I cross-post this to kolab-devel to inform the Kolab guys too but my
>> questions are mainly targeted at the Horde dev crowd.)
>>
>> The restructured Horde/Kolab module abstracts all the major Kolab
>> server concepts now. So I dare to finally call it a useful developers
>> library for the Kolab Server. I believe it should be easy for PHP
>> scripters to base their code on this module and manipulate the data
>> stored on a Kolab server without requiring a complete Horde setup.
>>
>> In order to facilitate this I would now like to provide the module as
>> downloadable PEAR package. So I looked at the dependencies and
>> realized that the full list of required packages for the Kolab module
>> is quite long. But there are different sub modules present which have
>> a strong logical separation and completely different dependencies. So
>> I believe it would make sense to split the big Kolab module into the
>> following sub parts:
>>
>>   - Kolab_Format (handles the Kolab XML format)
>>   - Kolab_Server (handles the Kolab user database)
>>   - Kolab_Storage (handles Kolab IMAP storage)
>>   - Kolab_Freebusy (handles the Kolab Free/Busy implementation)
>>
>> There'd probably be a fifth package (Kolab_Resource) later.
>>
>> I have several questions concerning this proposed change:
>>
>>  1) Would it be okay to split the package?
>
> I think it all depends on whether these packages make any sense
> without each other. If not, and developers end up downloading all
> packages anyway, a single package makes more sense.

I'd expect developers to primarily use Kolab_Storage or
Kolab_Server. These are the dependencies between the proposed
packages:

   - Kolab_Format: no dependencies on the other Kolab packages
   - Kolab_Server:  no dependencies on the other Kolab packages
   - Kolab_Storage: Kolab_Format (required), Kolab_Server (optional)
   - Kolab_Freebusy: Kolab_Format, Kolab_Server, Kolab_Storage
   - Kolab_Resource: Kolab_Format, Kolab_Server, Kolab_Storage

So Kolab_Format, Kolab_Server, Kolab_Storage are of course the core
parts of the current Kolab module but as both the Kolab_Format and the
Kolab_Server part can be used as a standalone package I believe there
is enough reason to separate them.

> Otherwise I'm fine with separate packages.
>
>>  2) What is the structure for new packages we agreed upon?
>>
>>     I reread the thread Chuck started a while ago but I had the
>>     impression that there was no final conclusion.
>>
>>     Should it be
>>
>>       lib/..
>>       doc/..
>>       test/..
>>       package.xml
>>
>>     now? What would I use for scripts? "examples"? And can I already
>>     use "www"?
>
> This structure was mainly targeted for Horde 4/PHP 5 packages, though
> VFS use it too. It probably makes sense to start with that layout from
> the start to make the move to Horde 4 easier. Chuck can probably chime
> in on the other question.
>
>>  3) How would I provide these packages via pear.horde.org? Can I
>>     upload them somehow or do I need to ping Chuck or Jan for that?
>
> We will upload the initial packages which automatically creates an
> account for you. You will then be able to upload any updates yourself.

Sounds great. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Jan.

> http://horde.org/consulting/

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg