[dev] Disable sidebar by default

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Jul 16 21:31:38 UTC 2010

> The new sidebar code is good now that we got rid of frames.  But it
> is bad because it has to be regenerated every time a page is loaded.
>  This is quite a bit of extra load.  Enough so that I wonder if
> sidebar should be disabled by default.  Alternatively, we need to do
> some sort of caching of the tree so that it does not need to be
> rebuilt on every page click.  Maybe do absolute time caching (e.g.
> we only rebuild the tree every 'refresh_time' minutes - when the
> page is loaded, the next refresh will be the difference between the
> next refresh time and the current time).

One of the major complaints before H4 (or maybe before DIMP) was the
not-instant notifications or changes in the sidebar when doing
something in the main frame. Simply caching the sidebar for some TTL
would get us the same behavior again. So we need to think of something
smarter.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/