[dev] Forking as a feature

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Sep 30 21:07:35 UTC 2010

> Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Interesting essay:
>>
>> http://dashes.com/anil/2010/09/forking-is-a-feature.html
>
> I don't find it as interesting as the discussion that spawns in the
> comments. Actually I find the article rather weak because he only
> describes the status quo and considers it good. He doesn't provide
> any reasoning *why* he considers this new style of forking good.

I'm with Jan on this.  I read this and felt that he was trying to be
profound, but there really isn't anything in that article.  Forking is
cool?  Yawn.  Forking is the new way of releasing?  I think not.

Case in point, I went and looked at prototypejs code on github
(http://github.com/sstephenson/prototype).  Saw that it has been
forked 107 times.  But what does that mean?  How do I know which one
of these 107 forks are useful?  Instead, I rely on the social capital
built up by the original developers to tell me when *they* think a new
release is ready for prime time.  Because I can go to any of these
forks and see a commit like "Added awesome new feature which increases
speed by 400%!", but how do I know that statement is accurate?
(Since, odds are, I am not familiar enough with the code to be able to
eyeball the change/diff and be able to tell).  Thus, the need to rely
on some central authority/group that I trust to tell me that things
are ok to upgrade.

Forking is useful for software development.  It is lousy for software
releases.

michael