[dev] CRITICAL: Postgresql broken(?)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Mar 24 20:40:39 UTC 2011

Don't want to post a bug yet in case I am missing something obvious,
but this change to Horde/Db has completely broken autoincrementing in
Postgresql:

commit 324f067adc7d36c9efff1641fcd8b08b5c6ad26a
Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
Date:   Fri Mar 4 14:13:07 2011 +0100

     Changing arbitrary columns to autoincrementing simply doesn't work,
     because this is not supported by all databases. Use the virtual column
     type "primaryKey" instead, which does exactly what we want.

This is an incorrect statement.  In Postgresql primary keys in
postgres are defined as a combination of a unique constraint and a
*not-null* constraint.  Obviously, primary keys can not be used for an
autoincrementing column, since this column will always be null when
adding an entry.

So it looks like another 'virtual column' will need to be created -
e.g. 'autoincrementKey'.

Thoughts?

michael