[dev] Ulaform release and future

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Sat Jul 23 07:05:47 UTC 2011

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> rašė:

> Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>
>> Given that all Ulaform patches I had locally were commited I wanted
>> to discuss where to go next for the release and a (possible) future
>> of Ulaform.
>>
>> I have converted Ulaform to new H4 API including all the legacy
>> methods and deprecated libraries.  I have extensivelly tested all
>> the funcionality except for PEAR embedding of forms on external
>> pages. Everything works and at the current state I think Ulaform
>> can be released as beta. What else need to be done to make Ulaform
>> release appear on the web and on pear.horde.org ? Probably
>> CHANGES/package.xml need to be updated with most important stuff?
>> As I don't really have a Horde git access I will leave this last
>> part for someone with proper release management skills :) Anything
>> else?
>>
>> Also as Ulaform uses Horde_Forms extensivelly I remember there was
>> discussion in the past about a new Horde_Form library which would
>> be more suitable for modern web. What is the status of that library
>> and is anyone still interested in it? I have some spare time so can
>> look into it. In fact it would help me a lot for my internal
>> company purposes.
>
> Here's my vision:
> I'd like to see Ulaform be separated into two layers. One is kind of
> the current app - form generation and handling of the results. Much
> better/easier embedded forms, easy embedding of forms on Facebook,
> etc., should all be added as well.
>
> The other layer would take the old Horde_Form library and rewrite it
> for Horde 4, based on Horde_View, in a way that gives us a generic
> form generation/rendering engine. We should be able to
> programmatically create (say, in Nag) the same kind of forms that
> the UI for Ulaform creates, use the same shared rendering/layout
> code (though layouts obviously need to be fully customizable).

That's similar vision I have.

Any idea about the status of Horde_Form which was developed during
Google SoC? I mean is it worth continuing the work which was already
done, or the code is too old and too far behind git so I'm better
rewriting everything from scratch?

I have looked at Horde_Form in CVS incubator but see that most of the
code was moved to hatchery. Was it merged to horde-git master?

--
   Vilius