[dev] Horde library license headers (notices from SUSE Legal) - please advise

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Aug 29 17:49:08 UTC 2011

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

>> > Hope you get through it without any damages. News sounds horrible.
>>
>> Thanks. We came through with relatively little damage. It could have
>> been a lot worse.
> Good to hear

>> > I think as long as the authors of the Horde_Image code agree, there's
>> > nothing stopping you from licensing it as GPL. On the other hand, if the
>> > library is LGPL and uses GPL code, this should also be no problem by
>> > itself. Users just need to know that GPL parts are included.
>>
>> At the very least, I would like this to be released under either LGPL
>> 2.1 or GPL 2. My guess is that these links are just outdated, i.e.,
>> they were never updated to point to the older license when the newer
>> version 3 licenses were released. I don't recall any discussion as a
>> group on moving to any of the version 3 gnu licenses. There are other
>> examples of this in our code, mostly in older libraries.
>>
>> We should decide on this as part of the process of updating the
>> copyright/license headers to point to a local copy of the license
>> used. I believe that was another thread we were discussing, correct?
>
> Yes, these are three separate issues:

Ok. Well, to add my votes then:

> * Shipping license files at all (I think jan has voted for it and it would
> help me, too)

+1. Shipping license files OR linking to locally hosted versions are
both fine with me. If it helps downstream packagers, then shipping
them makes sense.

> * Ambiguous links and codes for GPL and LGPL versions in files and metadata
> * outdated versions of the GPL2/LPGL-2.1 files shipped with H3 files
>
> In fact I only know of Horde_Ldap as explicitly labeled LGPL-3.0. The rest is
> just defaulting to the most recent GPL/LGPL link (though some are fixed by
> now).

> If there is a decision in any direction I'd volunteer some time to get at
> least framework/* and the released apps straight. I guess it's biting me more
> than most others involved.

My vote would be to make any code not explicitly labeled version 3 to
be released as version 2. Even for version 3 released code, I'd
investigate why the decision was made to make it 3. In the case of
Horde_Ldap, there are lots of authors listed, so it might not have
been our decision(?).

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)