[dev] traditional view app best practices

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sun Feb 12 18:08:31 UTC 2012

Am 23.08.2011 21:55, schrieb Chuck Hagenbuch:
> Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
>
>> Just want a confirmation if I understood correctly and if this
>> still is the current view
>
> I'll take a crack at this...
>
>> Using the Horde_Form_Renderer is the preferred way of presenting
>> new forms in traditional mode views compared to writing form html
>> tags in .inc files.
>
> This is okay and probably right for the "right now", but what we
> (I?) really want is to move to forms generated by reusable
> Horde_View widgets and stored with Horde_Rdo, with validation to be
> refactored out of Horde_Form into a separate library (and probably
> integrated with Horde_Rdo).
>
>> Horde_Templates should not be used for new code and factored out
>> where easily possible.
>
> Right.
>
>> The templates/ dir is still the canonical place for static html
>> snippets. (The skeleton has dropped this or maybe git doesn't
>> care about empty dirs)
>
> Using Horde_View partials is preferred to this; they would live in
> app/views.
>
>> Horde_View extensions live somewhere under lib/

I've added /app to the wiki page on filesystem layout.

I've noticed view partials (chora) and Horde_Controller (nag) being
used in develop but didn't find out yet how/where they are used. I'd
try converting sesha to this pattern if it is confirmed to be ready
for primetime.

Is Horde_View_Helper_Form ready to replace Horde_Form or is this
experimental/unfinished?

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer