[dev] [commits] Horde branch imp_6_2 updated. 0fa15349873ed70b3ba3ea8cf7510d881ec5310f

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Oct 7 18:58:33 UTC 2013

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> As with other new features, this may eventually be useful to
>>> abstract out.  But for now I'm going to leave in IMP so that we
>>> can adjust/tweak as necessary, even after 6.2 is released.
>>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>>> 1) You can't directly search your Facebook contacts via e-mail
>>> anymore (as of this summer).
>>
>> When this was originally written, you couldn't do that anyway.
>
> According to Facebook API docs. this was only changed in June.
> (There was no way to do a specific email field search previously,
> but doing a basic search for a name in the format x at example.com was
> apparently doing an email search transparently on the server-side).
>
>> That's why the entire friends list is returned. Not to mention, the
>> email address was only returned if the user allowed it to be
>> returned - and even then it was a facebook proxied address. Not
>> sure if/when this changed - haven't looked at the API in a while.
>> My original commit even mentioned that this is probably only useful
>> as a listTimeObjects source for birthdays, or maybe eventually to
>> list your contacts's most recent status in the turba display etc...
>
> That's one of the concerns I would have about a gravatar backend.
> It makes sense conceptually from the sense that Turba is the
> application dedicated to contacts storage/retrieval.  But it makes
> little/no sense to allow a user to "browse" the backend, or do other
> searches on it, or allowing adding to it.  So it doesn't fit the
> current concept of a Turba_Driver object either.

No, but we can add support for Gravatar to existing drivers so that
instead of storing avatars locally in the driver's storage we could
use gravatar images based on one (or more) of the email fields in the
contact's entry.

Another option is to implement something similar to the
listTimeObjects API that can return contact information, and create a
pseudo application (like timeobjects) that does nothing but expose
various mined sources, like Gravatar. This would have the added
benefit that it would be extremely easy to add a new source for mined
contact data.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)