[dev] enabling object_emails instead of object_email

Hans Dingemans spaarder at hotmail.nl
Sat Nov 30 16:08:30 UTC 2013

Hi all,

First thanks for the great Horde environment, every time
we are thinking of new functionality it seems it is already there,
waiting to be used or enabled!

My last challenge was about handling multiple email addresses per Turba contact; first I read this excellent page, http://wiki.horde.org/TurbaExtraFields;
 I was surprised to find the database already prepared with
object_homeemail and object_workemail columns, and also in backends.php
the relevant lines were there (only commented out).

It almost got
 the job done, except that the autocomplete function only shows the
"Email" address, not the "Home Email" or the "Work Email". The search
function works OK, if you have person Tester with email test at example.com
 and home email testhome at example.com, it will find user Tester, but it
will show and select test at example.com .

I then searched further
on the web and enabled the emails-instead-of-email functionality, so you
 can give a comma-separated list of email addresses in Turba; had to add
 an object_emails field, but that was all, now this all works well,
including ActiveSync synchronization and import of vcal files.

Would it be a good idea:
1)
 to enable the object-emails instead of object-mails functionality by
default, since this al works fine and is upward compatible for those
users who only wish to use a single email address per contact.
2) to get rid of the outdated wiki page
3) get rid of object_homeemail and object_workemail in the database, and the commented lines in backends.php

I'm sure this would save some people a lot of time in the future...

Best regards!

Hans.