[dev] Vagrant Configuration

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 14 05:31:28 UTC 2014

For a speech I will be giving in a few weeks, I have personal need for
a way to quickly setup a test Horde setup with the latest git master
code.  Since I'll likely be on a Windows machine, Docker is not an
option.  Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) is the way to go.

I created a repo and pushed my initial work today to it:

https://github.com/slusarz/horde-dev-vagrant

The image is based on Ubuntu 14.04.  PHP 5.5 latest is installed, and
the default Ubuntu Apache installation is used for HTTP.

Note that currently Horde Groupware apps (and all required and
optional dependencies) are installed in the image, but Horde itself
isn't configured.  That's next.

Pretty cool - if you have vagrant installed on your machine, all you
have to do is clone that repo, cd into the directory, and run "vagrant
up".

Can see this being useful for 2 separate use cases in the future:

1. Demo purposes.  Since Horde is provisioned using the most
up-to-date code, this gives a user a chance to test out new features
without the need for someone to roll a new release.

2. Bug fixing.  More advanced users can use the image directly to bug
fix, without messing around with setting up a local development
environment.  And less advanced users can use the image to test
whether their bug is reproducible on an environment other than their
own.

michael