[gollem] MIME type with file download

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Oct 1 08:40:10 PDT 2003

> > While we're at it: is there any special reason that we show the file
> > contents inline? This doesn't make much sense to me because we can only
> use
> > these mime drivers that support inline displaying. And it's the only
> > application that shows files/attachments inline.
>
> Err?
>
> We provide a view link only when the driver has an inline view; if not,
> we just
> have the download link. Gollem is intended as a filemanager; I'd really
> like to
> add editing capabilities to it eventually. So it seems useful to be able
> show text/images/etc. inline.

But editing and viewing are a different kettle of fish. For me one of the
best things of the MIME framework is that we have so many different
viewers. And only a minority is currently used in Gollem because most of
them don't support inline viewing.
I don't see how this interferes with future editing capabilities.

Jan.