[gollem] Providing only Gollem

Paul Dorman paul.dorman at solnetsolutions.co.nz
Wed Nov 16 14:06:35 PST 2005

Thanks for your reply Kevin. I tried your suggestions, but I wasn't
happy with the end result.

In the end I did the following, which works perfectly.

I'm using Gollem as a front end to our PureFTPd server, hosted on the
local machine. I am using MySQL as the authentication back end for the
FTP server, and I have a separate web-based admin interface to manage
users, quotas, bandwidth, etc.

For Horde, I am using FTP authentication, so anyone in the PureFTP user
database will be able to log into Horde and Gollem.

I renamed the <path>/horde3/index.php to <path>/horde3/index.php.old and
symlinked <path>/horde3/gollem/manager.php to <path>/horde3/index.php.

I also edited the following files:

<path>/horde3/gollem/config/conf.php: I emptied the list of apps to
display in the menu: $conf['menu']['apps'] = array('');

<path>/horde3/lib/Gollem.php: To get rid of the "Home" menu item I
commented out:
  $menu->add(Util::addParameter(Horde::applicationUrl('manager.php'), 'd
ir', Gollem::getHome()), _("Home"), 'home.png');

<path>/horde3/lib/Gollem.php: To make it so the "Create Folder" and
"Change Folder" are always visible, I commented out the first and last
lines of
        if (strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], 'manager.php') !== false) {
            if (Gollem::checkPermissions('backend', PERMS_EDIT)) {
                $menu->add('', _("Create Folder"), 'mkdir.png', null,
'', 'creat
eFolder(); return false;');
            }
            if (Gollem::checkPermissions('backend', PERMS_READ)) {
                $menu->add('', _("Change Folder"), 'cd.png', null, '',
'changeDi
rectory(); return false;');
            }
        }

The end result is so far very pleasing. I have a clean web front end to
our FTP server with no other Horde features at all. I'm going to change
the permissions on most of the Horde php pages so that no one can access
them, add a few extra icons to the Gollem menu bar (using
<path>/horde3/gollem/config/menu.php), and of course put a "Powered by
Horde" credit on the bottom :o)

Thanks again for your help. Hope this comes in handy for someone else
one day.

Regards,
Paul