[gollem] actions, help and german translation

Oliver Kuhl okuhl at netcologne.de
Wed May 31 00:06:46 PDT 2006

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> schrieb:

>> I copy 2 files from the current directory onto the clipboard.  I want
>> to paste one into directory A and one into directory B.  This saves me
>> having to navigate back to the original directory to do a "copy" again
>> (which can be a pain in the rear).
>
> So, how about this:
>
> - If no items are on the clipboard, Paste isn't in the Actions menu
> (or on browsers that support it, it is, but it's disabled - letting
> people know it's there).

ACK. And there is no clipboard.

> - If one item is on the clipboard, there is a Paste choice in the
> Actions menu that pastes that one item.

ACK. And there is the clipboard. Whoever wants to can use the
clipboard instead.

> - If multiple items are on the clipboard, choosing Paste redirects you
> to the clipboard to explicitly choose which item to Paste (so the
> action is where people expect it, but we still preserve the ability to
> selectively paste things).

> - Optionally, if there are multiple items on the clipboard, include a
> Paste All item that pastes all of them to the current directory.

NACK. I would stay on the windows side of life. ;-) There everyone is
used to use paste for pasting everything in the current location.
However, who wants to paste objects on several locations like Michael
suggests can use the clipboard.

> It also seems like the clipboard is an area where some selective Ajax
> could really improve user experience - instead of loading a whole
> page, show the clipboard in an overlap over the current directory,
> etc. I may look at that if I'm bored and/or have some time (hah. I
> mean, if I'm procrastinating).

Good idea. Good luck then... ;-)

Another note to what Jan said about clearing the clipboard. I would
implement this in the windows way, too. That means, copying or pasting
overwrites the clipboard and pasting does not clear it. Instead, using
the clipboard an additional button "Paste and remove from clipboard"
could be helpful.

Gruss,
     Oliver.