[gollem] User not authenticated to File Manager - smb backend

Mike Egglestone mike at estone.ca
Tue Aug 15 20:29:14 UTC 2023

Hi,
I've recently recovered from a failed disk and had to restore all
horde/imp applications from backup.
Running Debian 11 with horde 5.2.23 and gollem 3.0.13.

Everything worked great for years until I restored from backup.
Horde/IMP and all the other applications work, except for gollem.

Once I authenticate in the web browser, click on File Manager, it
prompts me for a login.
Immediately this is logged to /var/log/syslog:

Aug 15 13:10:05 intel HORDE: User mike is not authorized for File
Manager (Host: 10.0.0.58). [pid 775841 on line 324 of
"/usr/share/php/Horde/Registry.php"]

If I type my password, it fails with a browser error message:
"Authentication to the SMB Server failed."
And this is immediately logged in syslog:

Aug 15 13:10:10 intel HORDE: [horde] FAILED LOGIN for mike to gollem
(10.0.0.58) [pid 775841 on line 198 of "/usr/share/horde/login.php"]

Here is my backend.local.php file under /etc/horde/gollem/

<?php
$backends['ftp']['disabled'] = true;
$backends['sqlhome']['disabled'] = true;
$backends['sqlhome']['name'] = 'Home';
$backends['ftp']['disabled'] = true;
$backends['smb']['disabled'] = false;
$backends['smb']['hordeauth'] = true;
$backends['smb']['params']['hostspec'] = '10.0.0.1';

This configuration used to work before my restore.
I have no clue why its not working now, but must have messed up somewhere.
The Samba server works normally and I can browse to my Home Directory
via a windows client on the same LAN.
Samba, apache and horde all on the same Linux system.
I've tried setting hordeauth to "full" but exact same error.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
~Mike