[horde] alternative imp mail delivery methods

Rich Lafferty rich at horde.org
Thu Feb 22 17:02:16 PST 2001

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:25:23AM +0100, Nico Galoppo (scratch at ace.ulyssis.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up a website on a box which can't run an IMAP
> server, nor can I create extra user accounts on it (don't ask me why ;))
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of using IMP to have an internal web messaging
> system (so the website users can send mail to each other, but not
> outside). That would require IMP to deliver it's messages to a database
> (for example), instead of an IMAP server.

IMAP is just a protocol to move the contents of messages around, and
so's SMTP. Neither of them mean "sending mail to the Internet". A
mailbox is a database of mail, IMAP's a protocol to speak to the
database and get mail out, and local sendmail is a way to speak to the
database and put mail in.

Given that this wheel's already very well established, why reinvent
it?

> Has anyone got an idea for a smart way doing this kind of stuff, keeping
> IMP's interface? (That's the main reason why I want to do this)

Mail! Your description of "web messaging" is no different from what
IMP already does.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services