Problems with LDAP Prefs module (H2RC1, IMP3RC1)

Marcus I. Ryan marcus at riboflavin.net
Mon Nov 19 10:23:40 PST 2001

I am trying to make the move from horde and IMP 2.2.5 to a more complete horde
2.0RC1 system with IMP (3.0RC1), Turba (1.0RC1), etc., using LDAP for the back
end. (building the new system from scratch)

UPDATE: Just before I sent this I got the announcement RC2 is ready.  I will try
this again with RC2 this afternoon if I get a chance, but I suspect some of this
is just LDAP configuration that's either not well documented or I managed to miss.

I've had a few problems, and despite checking with the FAQ, mailing list
archives, etc., I haven't had much luck resolving them on my own.  Any help
anyone can provide will be appreciated.

I am running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE with the latest CVS of the ports directory.
I'm also using the ports collection installs for openldap2, mod_php4,
apache13-modssl, etc.

Also, the system was originally setup and tested using IMAP auth for horde and
imp and worked error-free for a week.  These errors started after changing to LDAP.

Configuration options: [/usr/local/src/horde/config/horde.php]

$conf['auth']['driver'] = 'ldap';
$conf['auth']['params'] = array();
$conf['auth']['params']['hostspec'] = 'imp.riboflavin.net';
$conf['auth']['params']['basedn'] = 'ou=users, dc=riboflavin, dc=net';
$conf['auth']['params']['uid'] = 'uid';

$conf['prefs']['driver'] = 'ldap';
$conf['prefs']['params'] = array();
$conf['prefs']['params']['hostspec'] = 'imp.riboflavin.net';
$conf['prefs']['params']['basedn'] = 'ou=users, dc=riboflavin, dc=net';
$conf['prefs']['params']['uid'] = 'uid';

(1) I have installed the mod_php4 (4.0.6_6) port.  I then downloaded the PEAR
archive pointed to on the horde site.  After renaming the old PEAR archive to
/usr/local/lib/php4.old, I extracted the new archive into /usr/local/lib/php4.
Even having done that when I look at my horde/test.php page, it tells me that my
PHP version is supported but I need the newer PEAR archive.

(2) LDAP authentication:  When I log in with an incorrect username and password
I get told to log in again, as things should be.  However, when I login with a
correct username and password, I get the main horde menu (Log in to Mail, etc.),
but at the top it says: "WARNING: Missing Argument 2 for setauth() in
/usr/local/src/horde/lib/Auth.php on line 246"

(3) LDAP Preferences: When I log into IMP (Click "Log in to Mail" and enter the
pertinant information) I get "Warning: LDAP modify operation could not be
completed in /usr/local/src/horde/lib/Prefs/ldap.php on line 325", and "A fatal
error has occurred: string(31) "Unabled to modified [sic] preferences."
[/usr/local/src/horde/lib/Prefs/ldap.php:326]"  Note the bad grammer as well :)