[horde] PHP 4.2.2, Horde 2.1 and PEAR

Oliver Schönrock oliver at schonrocks.com
Fri Aug 30 01:27:15 PDT 2002

Hi Vicky

I don't know much about Pear or the changes that have been made in recent
versions. What I can tell you is that I am successfully running Horde
2.1/IMP3.1/Turba1.1 on PHP 4.2.2 with the Pear 4.1.0 archive from
ftp.horde.org.

Pear seems to have changed the distribution mechanism to some kind of
package format which I don't understand because I haven't had the time to
figure this out.

The reason I am running this configuration is that right now I am running
the horde framework on a virtual host. They are good about upgrading to the
latest version promptly, but they have never let me have even read access
to the pear include directory. So I downloaded Pear 4.1.0 from
ftp.horde.org a long time ago, put in one of my directories and put it in
the include path. Since then my hosting company upgraded to php
4.2.2.....absolutely no problem....horde just keept running...

Hope this helps

Would be nice to get the official answer from the head honchoes though....

Oliver

--On 29 August 2002 16:26 -0700 Vicki Brown <vlb at gene.COM> wrote:

>  On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 11:57 , Vicki Brown wrote:
>
> I have configured, built, and installed PHP 4.2.2. I can't seem to
> determine what version of PEAR this comes with but it seems obvious that
> it is NOT 4.1.0. When I download the PEAR 4.1.0 archive from
> ftp.horde.org, the contents are VERY different. Apparently the included
> PEAR .php files have been substantially reworked for the PHP 4.2.1/2
> distribution. Sigh.
>
> 1) Should I try PEAR 4.1.0 with PHP 4.2.2? Does anyone know if this will
> cause me problems?    When I try the PEAR that comes with PHP 4.2.2 it
> does not include the Log.php filewhich causes errors from Horde's
> test.php and may cause errors for horde itself.
>
> 2) Has anyone successfully installed Horde 2.1 and Imp 3.1 with PHP
> 4.2.2? Am I looking at more problems?    I have been instructed to
> download and install "the latest stable versions" of PHP, Horde, IMP, and
> Turba. Do I need to go back to management and tell them that these
> versions do not (yet) play together? Given the various security problems
> found in recent versions of PHP I am loathe to simply "back up" to an
> earlier version without more information. - Vicki

Oliver Schönrock

20 The Gables
Old Town, Clapham
London SW4 0JX