[horde] enable UTF-8 then cause these problems

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jan 27 14:27:20 PST 2003

Zitat von David Chang <david at thbuo.gov.tw>:

> ?瞼?翹???禮???穡 Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> ,did
> > > not

> > > Old folder was created by IMP (which UTF is disable).
> >
> > Ah, then I bet the folders names were garbled if you viewed them with
> > another client?
> > Anyway, renaming the folders with IMP or another client should work now
> and
> > create folder names that are viewable by any mail client.
> Yes renaming is working,but IMP seems doesn't transfer it automaticly
> from
> zh_TW charset to UTF8.

Sorry, I lost you here completely.

> > Great, do you still see any other problems, except those we discussed
> before?
> >
> > Jan.
> Till now here are what i found :
> 1.When search contacts in Turba with ldap backend.All results no longer
> in
> Chinese format.eg, name,address .
>     Here are partial settings in turba/config/source.php
>     'server' => 'ldap.example.com',
>         'port' => 389,
>         'root' => 'dc=test,dc=example.com',
>         'bind_dn' => 'cn=root,dc=test,dc=example.com',
>         'bind_password' => '******',
>         'dn' => array('cn'),
>         'objectclass' => 'person',
>         'charset' => 'UTF8',
>         'version' => 2

I don't have an ldap server available, so I can't test this. But if this is
really your setting and your ldap server really stores the data utf8
encoded, try to set 'charset' to 'UTF-8' (with the hyphen).

> 2.Turba/Nag/Mnemo/Kronolith export file with incorrect charset format.

Try Turba now. If it works I'll fix the other apps too.
What I do is to export the data in the charset that the storage backend has.
It used to be exported in the charset of the ui. I think this solution makes
more sense.

Hm, know that I think about it, it makes perhaps even more sense to export
it in the orginal charset of the translation.
Opinions?

> 3.Could not see Chinese content when import in Turba ,if file are
> exported from
> outlook/express.(Such import/export problems also happen in
> Nag/Kronolith/Mnemo)

This is really a difficult problem. How do we know what charset the data has
that is going to be imported? The cleanest solution would be to let the user
decide.
This might get difficult because most users probably don't know about charsets.
Another problem is, what charsets do we offer? The ones from nls.php?
Another list generated from an external source?

> 4.In gollem,file name did not look right,if it's original
> file name is Chinese format.

What backend do you use for Gollem?

Jan.