[horde] error with gettext

heva help_debian at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 15 12:28:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:48:32AM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> The i18n mailing list is the correct place for translation questions.
>
> Zitat von heva <help_debian at yahoo.fr>:
>
> > > I also try to do a :
> > > $>php ./translation.php help
> > >

> > > Fatal error: Call to undefined function:  _() in
> > /var/www/horde_cvs/config/nls.php on line 168
>
> Looks like your php cli executable uses another php.ini than the php on your
> webserver.

ok, i have only one php.ini, but it's an another problem...

> > I have no answers so i try to understand how gettext work in horde:
> >
> > I made the following script
>
> What for?
>
> [snip]

I just tried to isolate the system of translation in horde (I didn't know
gettext), to find the problem.

> > The variables seems to be right
> > (In the directory of my script i have
> > locale/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES/horde.mo),
> > but the "User Registration" should be "Enregistrement des utilisateurs"
> > according with fr_FR.po:
> > msgid "User Registration"
> > msgstr "Enregistrement des utilisateurs"
> >
> > Or there's something i don't understand...
>
> Take a look at docs/TRANSLATIONS for steps how to troubleshoot translation
> problems.

ok, so i tried to test gettext alone:

$> strings /bin/tar | grep memory
Cannot allocate memory for blocking factor %d
memory exhausted
$> (LANG=fr_FR; LANGUAGE=fr_FR; LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR; gettext tar "memory exhausted" )
$>

It's seems gettext doesn't work...

$> locale                                                                                      21:18:51 #0
LANG=fr_FR at euro
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR at euro"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR at euro"
LC_TIME="fr_FR at euro"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR at euro"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR at euro"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR at euro"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR at euro"
LC_NAME="fr_FR at euro"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR at euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR at euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR at euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR at euro"
LC_ALL=
$> locale -a                                                                                   21:22:11 #0
POSIX
$> cat /etc/locale.gen                                                                         21:25:06 #0
# This file lists locales that you wish to have built. You can find a list
# of valid supported locales at /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED. Other
# combinations are possible, but may not be well tested. If you change
# this file, you need to rerun locale-gen.
#
# XXX GENERATED XXX
#
# NOTE!!! If you change this file by hand, and want to continue
# maintaining manually, remove the above line. Otherwise, use the command
# "dpkg-reconfigure locales" to manipulate this file. You can manually
# change this file without affecting the use of debconf, however, since it
# does read in your changes.

fr_FR at euro ISO-8859-15
$>

And i have the man pages in french.