[horde] oracle clobs to get around size limit in preferences?

Matt Selsky selsky at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:36:25 PDT 2004

I'm using Oracle as the SQL back-end to store preference information in
Horde and I'm getting errors in horde.log when users try update their
preferences and they exceed 4K characters.

[nativecode=ORA-01704: string literal too long]

I saw posts about converting the field in the database from a
varchar2(4000) to a CLOB and I tried that, but I still get the "string
literal too long" message.

I read some documentation in Oracle that suggested the error might
occur if quoted strings are used instead of bind variables.

Has anyone found a way around this?  Do I need to change
horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php to use bind variables and prepare statements?

Thanks.

* Horde: 2.2.5
* IMP: 3.2.4
* Turba: 1.2.2