[horde] Database case sensitivity

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Wed Jan 25 08:27:41 PST 2006

I have Horde 3.0.9 with Imp 4.0.4 providing authentication. Preferences
are stored in a PostgreSQL 7.4.8 database. Is there a way to make the
user's login case insensitive in the database? Or to force all names to
all lowercase?

I'll try to demonstrate what i mean with a quick example. Say i have an
account "foobarbaz". I can log in as foobarbaz, FooBarBaz, FOOBARBAZ,
or whatever other capitalization style i want. The case doesn't matter
because the imap server that Imp uses is not case sensitive. However,
if i'm logged in as foobarbaz then any preferences i set or any
addresses that i enter into Turba are all associated with foobarbaz.
Later if i log in as FooBarBaz all my preferences and address book
entries appear to be gone because Horde interprets FooBarBaz to be a
different user from foobarbaz! This is rather confusing to the majority
of our users who don't know the implementation and case-sensitivity
details of the webmail server.