[horde] performance when some components are not on local network

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu May 4 18:11:43 PDT 2006

Quoting Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>:

> I did tcpdump of traffic from the moment user clicks on "login"
> button, till the first page is fully loaded.  The dump contains some
> 870KB of traffic between Horde, SQL and IMAP servers!!!  Just to
> generate a single page.  Large portions seem to be either duplicate
> data, or data that gets discarded/overwritten several times in a row.

The best thing you could do would be to gather logs of what data is
requested multiple times, etc., and create tickets with detailed,
reproducible reports on http://bugs.horde.org/

Also, you didn't mention version numbers anywhere. A *lot* of work has
gone into caching IMAP data in HEAD; it'd be interesting to see how
much that changes your experience.

Finally there are a number of configuration options to cache things
like folder lists. You didn't indicate whether or not you investigated
those at all.

-chuck