[horde] postresql sessionhandler problem

COMBES Julien - CETE Lyon/DI/ET/PAMELA julien.combes at i-carre.net
Wed Jan 10 02:32:46 PST 2007

Hello,

We have a horde server in production with horde 3.1.3, imp, turba ingo,
mnemo, nag, mimp in the last stable version and kronolith 2.1.3. Horde
is running on a debian Sarge server with apache 2.0.54 and php 4.3.10;
and for the database we are using a postgreSQL 7.4.7 on a separated server

As the size of the horde's farm servers is going to increase, the
sessionshandler is configure on 'pgsql' so that it can be shared between
the servers with active/active high-availability . At this  time, we
have only one horde server.

Sometimes, maybe under connexions peak, horde become more and more slow
to finally become inaccessible for some users and then for all users.
Restarting apache doesn't help. The only thing which help is to restart
postgresql.

During the problem :
  - it seems that there is many lock on the horde_sessionhandler database.
  - all the tables on the postgreSQL's server (of horde and others
applications which use this server) are working fine and respond
correctly except the horde_sessionhandler table.
  - the number of apache's processes increase quickly.

If, we come back to "$conf['sessionhandler']['type'] = 'none';", the
server works correctly.

The MaxClient of apache and postgreSQL are equal.

Now, we have returned to php sessionhandler to make it work but it's
freeze the deployement of our other servers.

We haven't found a way to correct that in horde's documentations or on
horde's mailing list archive. Is someone has any idea which could help
us to correct this problem ?
Or, Is there a better/other solution to share sessionhandler between
server ?

Regards,
Julien