[horde] mySQL storage engine

Abu Hurayrah abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Tue Feb 6 14:54:22 PST 2007

Actually, MySQL locks tables for writing on UPDATEs to MyISAM tables as
well.  SELECTs can occur concurrently with INSERTs if there are no
deleted rows in a MyISAM table, otherwise MySQL will lock the table
while it attempts to INSERT a record into a space created by a previous
DELETE.  This can be avoided by not deleting records and/or optimizing
your tables to clear out any holes.  In general, MyISAM is faster for
reading, by what was said about row-level locking for InnoDB tables is
very useful for data that needs to be both updated & read concurrently.

As an example, MediaWiki, the software that operates Wikipedia, runs
almost exclusively on InnoDB tables because the nature of the site
requires that SELECTs & UPDATEs be allowed to happen concurrently.