[horde] Potential Security Risk in specific Configuration

Markus Petzsch m.petzsch at net-hoster.de
Sat Apr 21 22:09:06 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've been using the Horde Framework for a couple of years now and am
very happy with it. It really is great software even If many features
are never exlored by many of my users it still brings alot of benefit to
those who do. :) So First of all: Thank you for the great product!

Now to my problem. I'm in a multiserver envoirment where users create
own domains and email accounts by a Control Panel (VHCS). Some users
have access to so called reseller priviledges so they can create own
domains without providing prove that they own it or it actually
delegates to their server. All those servers use a central Horde login,
which identifys the users by IMP IMAP login functionallity. The Server
is choosen from a dropdown box upon login. Now the security problem: If
an identicall user account exists on two servers they share same
settings, kallendar data, notes and adressbook. This is because the
object user is only described by their emailadress. On the other hand
merging servername*username to a unique username would bring problems in
the kallendar or notes sharing among different users. Either way the
current state is not acceptable for me. Hope you can help me.

Thank's for your help in advance

Markus Petzsch