[horde] PHP APC

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Jul 10 21:40:03 UTC 2007

I recently upgraded our Webmail systems to the latest Horde/IMP/etc stable
releases, and I have spent some time tuning the various pieces for
performance.  We currently have 3 servers in a load balance pool:

(3) Sun x4100, two dual-core 2.4GHz opteron 280, 4GB RAM
Debian Etch (stable)
Apache 2.2.3-4
PHP 5.2.0-8+etch7

During the daytime hours of peak usage, the load average hovers around 1.
Thankfully this is only summer term!  When fall term approaches I'll need
to make some improvements or the students will probably notice a slowdown.

I'm looking at using a PHP accelerator to reduce the load and improve the
performance further.  APC sounds like the way to go because it may be
included by default in PHP6.  Does anyone have experience running APC with
Horde with Debian Etch PHP5 packages?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
 	Andy