[horde] LDAP backend

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Wed Feb 13 20:59:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 14:53 -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
>
> > We encountered the same issue on our development site with our OpenLDAP
> > 2.3.40 backend.  We are setting up our system with the latest release
> > candidates after running tests with the latest stable versions of
> > horde/imp/turba.
> >
> > However, I did not want to say anything until we finished updating to
> > the latest release candidates to make sure the issue was still there.
> >
> > My crude and temporary fix (NOT a suggested patch since this would make
> > the code completely inscrutable and a real head-scratcher 6 months from
> > now) was to just set $top=true before the checks. This almost makes
> > sense since with our version of OpenLDAP, the top object class already
> > exists.
> >
> > In horde/lib/Horde/Prefs/ldap.php
> > 453     if ($result['count'] > 0) {
> > 454         $top = true;
> > 455         $hordeperson = false;
> >
> > I would also be interested to know how many others using LDAP for their
> > backend db have encountered this problem.
>
> So basically searching for top in the list of objectclasses fails
> because it's not returned, but it is actually already there, so adding
> it fails?
>
> If this is the case and the only actual problem is the warning, we
> could just silence the ldap_mod_add call - any reason not to do that?

Chuck, you are correct.

I do not see a problem with silencing the warning.  Everything was/is
working fine.  I just finally got tired of the beta test users asking
about that error message that kept popping up.  <grin>

I did not hear from anyone else though.  I am sure you have a better
handle on the number of horde installations that use versions of LDAP
where that warning might be useful.

BTW, you guys have done a fantastic job.  We hope our team can get up to
speed soon and start making some useful contributions.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.

--