[horde] Share performance problem

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Mon Sep 8 12:04:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 11:24:00PM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>> 1) Does anyone have any ideas on how to optimize the kind of SQL queries
>> mentioned in the message? We'd like to enable sharing of calendars and
>> address books one day again, but with these loads it appears
>> impossible...
>
> Sorry for my delay in replying to this. The only obvious answer is to
> use a different way of storing permissions in the database that doesn't
> rely on bitwise comparisons. Unfortunately that's a long view answer. I
> don't have a short view answer right now, though I'm certainly open to
> ideas.

OK, thanks for answering anyway.

>> 2) Why is it that even when sharing, even of addressbooks, is disabled
>> (there is an empty string as the share backend in conf.php), such
>> expensive queries are still generated?
>
> If the share backend is completely disabled, it _should_ be impossible
> for a share_sql object to be instantiated. Did you log in/out after
> making this change? Config settings are cached in the session, so it
> would persist until a logout.
>
> If that's not it, it sounds like a bug; would you create a ticket on
> bugs.horde.org?

The share backend wasn't completely disabled, I had in my hurry misread
the descprition of Turba config item $conf[shares][source] and only set
it into ''. The Horde share backend, that is, the $conf[share][driver]
was set, into 'sql'. Sorry for the false alarm.

I think I was able to get rid of Turba generating the "hard" sql queries
by setting the 'use_shares' option of 'localsql' source in
turba/config/sources.php to false. However, the problem remains with the
other applications that use shares... oh, well, maybe I should really
disable all sharing for now...

Thanks,

--Janne
--