[horde] Kolab-Style Resource Accounts w/LDAP Auth, w/o Kolab

Robert McAuley rmcauley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Nov 10 17:20:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm setting up a Horde install for our mid-sized company since it fits
all our needs except in 1 facet, what Kolab calls resource accounts.
(we'd rather not have to use Kolab for various reasons, we've given it a
try and decided against it)

I'd like to be able to give my users the ability to book meeting rooms
though their clients via free/busy time, with the ability for anyone to
do it and have the meeting room automatically busy for the booked time.

However, the auth and address book on our Horde is configured against
our LDAP, and I'd rather not clutter our company LDAP with dummy
accounts for meeting rooms.

Two solutions came to mind: one is a 2nd Horde install, decoupled from
our LDAP, that was SQL authorization and was only Kronolith.  That
install could host all the meeting rooms.  I could use Apache rewrite
rules to keep free/busy URLs the same between the 2 Horde installs.

The second solution was having our office manager share a set of
calendars, avoiding LDAP clutter.  Problem is that approach wouldn't
mesh well with free/busy usage on either kronolith or Outlook/Kontact.

I've googled and searched the mailing list archives to see if anyone
else has mentioned anything, and came up with nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can get this functionality, that
would be fantastic.

If it helps, I am using the Webmail edition of Horde, configured for
LDAP authentication (with IMAP auth being the same user/password pair)
and PostgreSQL storage for Kronolith, prefs, etc.

- Rob