[horde] [imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:59:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Eric Jon Rostetter
<eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
>> Rationality and real world evidence of
>> problems have no leverage against elitist software
>> design,
>
> Sure they do, at least in this case.  People pointed out a real problem,
> and asked for a particular solution.  That solution was rejected, with
> an explaination of why, and another solution was proposed.  Someone else
> proposed a second alternative also.  But for some reason, a few people
> keep harping on the original rejected approach, and giving no feedback
> on the other two alternatives, or suggesting yet another approach.

There is a saying: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.  I would think
it is simple to ask for the IMP reply options for DIMP.  But the
developers are devoted to the one button solution.

I have not commented on the proposed alternatives because
in my view they do not acknowledge and solve the problem of preventing
accidental reply to all as well as the conventional dual button
solution already familiar to email users from many backgrounds..

There is a tendency in developers to seek out glory, and in this case
I suspect it is getting in the way.  There is no glory in reverting
to a standard solution, but if the problem can be resolved with
an innovative approach, there is much recognition given in that.

>> and given we pay nothing for it,
>> we cannot demand anything as paying customers.
>
> You could always pay for a custom build/support, if you wanted.
> No one says you have to use the free version as-is.  You can
> change it yourself, or hire someone to change it.  At least a few of the
> core Horde developers work for money as well doing custom features,
> installs, consulting, etc.

Your site is using horde 3/imp 4.  I'd like to see what
is heard from end users of other Universities as they migrate to
horde 4/imp 5 with real world feedback.  Not admins, but what
basic users experience and say.  If it was just for me,
I'd say the system works great.  My new reaction is from
user feedback and understanding the ramifications of possible
loss of confidentiality in email.

Our budget says what we can spend.  The same as we
spend on postfix, clamav, apache, mysql, postgres, etc.: zero.