[horde] Horde installation method: PEAR vs tarballs

Alan lameventanas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 00:51:41 UTC 2011

2011/12/7 Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>> I have been using Horde 3 and several modules for a long time, and now
>> want to try Horde 4.
>> I was surprised when I discovered that Horde 4 has to be installed via
>> PEAR instead of the usual tarballs.
>> May I know the rationale behind this? I find this very inconvenient.
>> Is this only temporary or a permanent thing?
>> I don't run pear, cpan, or other "smart" installation programs in my
>> systems, unless using some kind of sandbox.
>
> Faster, simpler installation, dependency management, easier release management to name a few.
>
> This is permanent at least for near future.

Some of my concerns with PEAR is that I don't know exactly what its
doing.  It tries to be a package manager but is not part of my package
manager.  It makes it harder to keep many installations (different
versions) in separate directories for testing (eg: testing
environments via virtual hosts).

With a tarball I know everything that is going on and I can have more
control of my system.

I hope this changes someday.

Alan