[horde] Horde 4 setup questions

John H. Bennett III bennettj at thebennetthome.com
Thu Aug 9 01:56:14 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I need a little more help in getting my horde suite setup on my test
server.  I'm running these version of the applications:

  Address Book (turba) 3.0.15
  Calendar (kronolith) 3.0.17
  content 1.0.3
  File Manager (gollem) 2.0.2
  Filters (ingo) 2.0.9
  Horde (horde) 4.0.15
  Mail (imp) 5.0.23
  Notes (mnemo) 3.0.6
  Tasks (nag) 3.0.8

I also have this in crontab
# Kronolith - Daily Agenda Reminders
0 5 * * * root /usr/bin/php  /usr/bin/kronolith-agenda

# Kronolith - Calendar Alarm Reminders
*/5 * * * * root /usr/bin/php -/usr/bin/horde-alarms

I notice every five minutes when the horde-alarms script runs, I see
this in my log:

Aug  8 20:05:07 www HORDE: [horde] Permission Denied [pid 31473 on
line 646 of "/home/httpd/html/horde/kronolith/lib/Application.php"]
Aug  8 20:05:07 www HORDE: [horde] Permission Denied [pid 31473 on
line 306 of "/home/httpd/html/horde/nag/lib/Application.php"]

Reading the list archives, all I could find was to make sure I have an
admin configured in horde/conf.php, which I do:
$conf['auth']['admins'] = array('admin at mylocaltest.local', );

I'm able to get the daily agenda and reminder notifications, I just
want to know what else I'm missing that will make the above two errors
go away.

I also notice, when I login, an ftp session opened, even though I
haven't tried to use gollem yet?  With the H3 apps, this doesn't
happen and an ftp session is only opened when I use gollem?  Did the
default gollem behavior change with H4, and if so, is there a way to
change it back to the previous behavior?

I'm also seeing a few lines like this:
Aug  8 20:20:01 www php: PHP Deprecated:  Assigning the return value
of new by reference is deprecated in /usr/share/pear/PEAR/Config.php
on line 650

Again searching, I tried setting $conf['debug_level'] = E_ALL &
~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED; ,but it didn't take for me.  What am I
missing?

Lastly, calendar tags.  First, when creating multiple tags, then
creating a calendar event, would it be possible to be presented with a
dropdown list showing the tags that have been created, instead of
trying to remember them and hopefully having it displayed while
typing?  Second, how are you supposed to use tags?  I set some tags,
but when looking at my calendar, I can't tell what the items have been
tagged with?  Lastly, I've read a lot on this, and the devs' minds
seem to be made up, but losing the colored categories is a big miss,
IMHO.  I sure would like to see colored tags.  I currently have a
category/tag created for several different events, and being able to
look at a calender with the different colors makes the calendar more
manageable.  I wouldn't want to have to create a separate calender for
each of these events, but that's what it seems is being recommended.
Even outlook 2010 and 2012 have colored categories, sorry, but that's
what most people compare things to, which makes calendar management
much easier.  Currently I have a bunch of grey entries, or if I change
the default calendar color, a bunch of entries of that color.  Yeah, I
also know the drill, then use Outlook/Thunderbird, etc, but I would
prefer to stick with Horde.

Thanks for the help, guidance, and reading this,

John Bennett