[horde] Problem with PEAR horde_dir setting

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 16:06:23 UTC 2012

Hello:

Everytime I install horde on a new machine (ubuntu), and after running
horde/horde_role script, although I specify horde directory as being
/var/www/horde, pear's horde_dir config is always set as
/usr/share/php/www/horde:

Base Horde directory           horde_dir /usr/share/php/www/horde

Despite that, pear manages to install horde just fine in the correct
path (/var/www/horde).

But this setting (horde_dir) affects horde scripts and makes cron report
php errors from horde-alarms and kronolith-agenda, because they cannot
find include files, as below:

horde-alarms:

PHP Warning: require_once(/usr/share/php/www/horde/lib/Application.php):
failed to open stream: No such file or directory in
/usr/bin/horde-alarms on line 21 PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed
opening required '/usr/share/php/www/horde/lib/Application.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in
/usr/bin/horde-alarms on line 21

kronolith-agenda:

PHP Warning:
require_once(/usr/share/php/www/horde/kronolith/lib/Application.php):
failed to open stream: No such file or directory in
/usr/bin/kronolith-agenda on line 19 PHP Fatal error: require_once():
Failed opening required
'/usr/share/php/www/horde/kronolith/lib/Application.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in
/usr/bin/kronolith-agenda on line 19

If I manually fix the path of horde_dir to /var/www/horde (via pear
config-set ...), then horde-alarms and kronolith-agenda run just fine,
with no erros.

I don't know pear internals and I wonder if this is the desired
behavior. Why does pear's horde_dir default to /usr/share/php/www and
not /var/www/horde as specified during horde_role?

Thanks  lot,
Luis Felipe