[horde] Recommended Apache config

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Apr 2 21:10:40 UTC 2013

> Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:
>
>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>>> (Aside to #2: Apache is most definitely not the preferred
>>> webserver to use for a PHP installation, especially if using
>>> mod_php.  If performance is a concern, other webservers are much
>>> better - and any webserver would benefit by using a FastCGI
>>> implementation instead.  Monolithic Apache + mod_php is so 2002.)
>>
>> This migth be true, but has nothing todo with the undocumented
>> requirements. As said at least a pointer what to look for should be
>> in place.
>
> Actually... it does.  There has been all this talk in this thread
> about documenting ".htaccess" and "Rewrite Rules", etc.  That's a
> misnomer though, since those terms don't mean anything outside of a
> single webserver.
>
> The correct solution is to document that URLs are rewritten and then
> provide a link to somewhere - like the wiki - where the webserver
> documentation can be posted/updated.  But there absolutely should
> not be mention of ".htaccess" files or specific Apache commands in
> the Horde documentation.  (I am not thrilled at the existence of
> .htaccess files in Horde, FWIW.  They give a false/misleading sense
> of security)
>
> There's nothing special about Apache.  It's run on approximately 50%
> of webservers, so its not a crushing market leader.  In fact, it's
> no different than Dovecot in the IMP context - and we have no
> specific Dovecot configuration instructions in the IMP documentation.

I don't care about Apache or not either, but fact is that URLs *need*
to be rewritten to get it work and this is not mentioned anywhere. In
case of Dovecot/IMP: If some special IMAP capailities would be
*needed* to get it work this would be the same problem, but actually
this is not the case. I don't know IIS well enough but chances are
high that even there you have to enable rewriting in some form. So it
still stands: If Horde needs URL rewriting this should be listed as
prerequisites.

I'm finished with this now, it's your decison anyway.

Regards

Andreas