[horde] kaPow...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Apr 25 00:05:19 UTC 2013

Quoting Michael Robinson <plug_1 at robinson-west.com>:

> See http://kapow.cs.pdx.edu to figure out what it is.
>
> I had to modify templates/login/login.inc and js/login.js to integrate
> kaPow into horde.
>
> Noticeable problem, the puzzle system must be down right now.  When the
> kaPow puzzle server is down the way I've added kaPow to horde, it isn't
> possible to log in.  Another problem with kaPow, one has to be online
> even if he can access the web server horde is hosted on from a local
> area network.  This is because the puzzle server I'm connecting to is at
> Portland State.  If I could set up a puzzle server on my local area
> network and use that, that problem would be solved potentially.  Another
> tact to take, change the way kaPow is integrated so that solving puzzles
> gets bypassed when the client is local.  The server being remote is only
> an issue for local clients.
>
> I'm hoping as kaPow develops that using it can become a standard option
> in horde.

Something like this shouldn't be standardized in Horde -- there are
way too many 3rd party authentication options and we quite frankly
don't have enough time to vet and/or maintain these solutions.

But it would be nice if adding a 2nd factor authentication layer could
be abstracted to a point where it is easy enough to plug & play this
kind of feature.  Others could then maintain the backend without
further Horde input without needing to worry about Horde integration.

michael