[horde] IMAP overhead?

simon at simonandkate.net simon at simonandkate.net
Thu Jun 27 00:01:31 UTC 2013

Quoting James MacLean <macleajb at ednet.ns.ca>> On 02/22/2013 08:10 AM,
Jan Schneider wrote:

>> Zitat von Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca>:

>>> Right, but should Horde be checking for new mail when I go into
>>> Turba, Nag, etc.. ?
>>
>> Yes. Users want to get notified about new messages, no matter where
>> in the groupware they are.
>>
>>> As far as I can tell every link I click on in Horde causes an imap
>>> connection to be made. And this only happens when hordeauth=true
>>> is used in IMP. If hordeauth=false then the imap connections only
>>> start when you actually go into IMP.
>>
>> Correct. Authentication is only attempted if there is a way to authenticate.
>>
>>> I have not checked to see if the same thing happens if Horde is
>>> configured to use IMP for authentication.
>>
>> It does.
>
> Hi Folks (Jan),
>
> We also notice that just logging in causes our Gollem backend to
> authenticate. That is, we have Gollem using hordeauth=true, but we
> are just logging in to Horde, not in to Gollem, and it will
> authenticate against the Gollem resource (ftp in this instance)
> every time.
>
> Is there a way to limit this to when a user actually selects a
> Gollem resource?
>
> This even happens to users with Active-Sync doing it's normal business.
>
> Thanks,
> JES

>>> Right, but should Horde be checking for new mail when I go into
>>> Turba, Nag, etc.. ?
>>
>> Yes. Users want to get notified about new messages, no matter where
>> in the groupware they are.
>>
>>> As far as I can tell every link I click on in Horde causes an imap
>>> connection to be made. And this only happens when hordeauth=true
>>> is used in IMP. If hordeauth=false then the imap connections only
>>> start when you actually go into IMP.
>>
>> Correct. Authentication is only attempted if there is a way to authenticate.
>>
>>> I have not checked to see if the same thing happens if Horde is
>>> configured to use IMP for authentication.
>>
>> It does.
>
> Hi Folks (Jan),
>
> We also notice that just logging in causes our Gollem backend to
> authenticate. That is, we have Gollem using hordeauth=true, but we
> are just logging in to Horde, not in to Gollem, and it will
> authenticate against the Gollem resource (ftp in this instance)
> every time.
>
> Is there a way to limit this to when a user actually selects a
> Gollem resource?
>
> This even happens to users with Active-Sync doing it's normal business.
>
> Thanks,
> JES
> --

I had a related issue a couple of weeks ago. Horde was taking an age
(minutes) to do anything. I discovered that it was because my Gollem
backend was down... I wasn't trying to use Gollem so didn't notice. So
a connected issue to your query is that with constant auth against
your Gollem backend you will run into problems if your FTP server goes
down.

Simon.